Top 5 items growers keep on handOn March 19, 2018 by darren
When something goes wrong in the grow at 2 in the morning here is a list of items to keep around incase the store isn’t open.
Our top 5 item lists every grower needs extra of:
- Lighting Equipment: Its a great idea to keep extra lighting equipment on hand. Here’s a list of grow lighting equipment that needs replacing periodically. (Hopefully not at 2 a.m.)
- High Pressure Sodium Light Bulbs – Most high pressure sodium bulbs have a rated life of 24,000 hours. One year is 8,760 hours. It is, however, suggested that people using HPS bulbs for growing plants should replace their bulb after about 18 months of use.
- High Pressure Sodium BallastHigh Pressure Sodium Ballast – Ballast operating characteristics and temperatures vary between products. This is 80% of the cost of a High Pressure Sodium light setup. If you run multiple HPS systems it is a very good idea to keep an extra ballast on hand.
- T5 Light Bulbs – Typical incandescent bulbs (T5) last 1,000 to 2,000 hours. If speaking about LED replacements, lamp life is routinely quoted as 25,000 up to 50,000 hours.
- T5 Ballast or Fixture – On the occasion a T5 ballast burns out they are relatively inexpensive to replace. T5’s are mostly used for vegetative growth (20-24 hours per day operating) and rarely used for flowering (12 hours or less per day operating). In the vegetative growth phase plants are more forgiving of quick light cycle changes.
- LED Grow Light – These can be fairly expensive to replace. If you run multiple LED light systems its a good idea to keep an extra LED fixture on hand. If you only run one LED grow light this may be excessive and inefficient.
- Fans & Air movers: A list of fans & air movers that need to be replaced if used.
- Inline Duct Fan – If you use inline duct fans keep a spare of each size around. Most grow stores don’t carry these and many hardware stores close by 10 p.m. When an inline duct fan goes out your air system will feel it instantly. There are many standard sizes of inline duct fans: 4″ | 6″ | 8″ | 10″ | 12″ | 14″
- Pedestal Fan – Keeping an extra pedestal fan around is smart incase one goes out, for on the spot air movement and quick drying accidental water spills.
- Upright Fan – Upright fans not only save space but are a bit pricy and not many grow stores feature them yet. Having an extra upright fan (if used) could save some midnight hardships.
- Clip Fan – Since the inception of clip fans growers have been positioning these little baby’s for air movement everywhere! Clip fans are inexpensive and some battery powered. Be sure to re-secure if positioned above plants.
- Box Fan – The standard square fan. An all purpose air mover.
- Portable Air Conditioner – Many growers use a portable air conditioners. Portable air conditioners make it easy to add on the spot air conditioning when needed.
- Portable Heater – Most of the time growers are battling heat, but when heated air is needed portable heaters work well.
- Dehumidifier – Humidity may be to high creating mold and other problems. Adding a dehumidifier to your garden can help regulate the humidity.
- Humidifier – Growers mostly need to add humidity with a portable humidifier.
Optimal humidity for weed:
- Clones 70-80% | Vegetative 40-60% | Flowering 40-50% | Ending less than 40%
- Pots & Trays: – AKA planters, plant boxes.
- Pruning Shears: – pruners, floral or garden scissors.
- Shear genius – Buy a 2 pack of each size used and keep the spare incase dulling. Replace spare shears when used.
- Quick solutions: A few quick solutions to keep around.
- Extension Cords – Extra electrical extension cords where & when needed is a must in every grow!
- Organic Neem Oil & or Azadirachtin – Einsteins Oil or AzaMax – Add to water / tea mixes or apply with foliar spray occasionally or as needed for pest control.
- Hydrogen Peroxide 3% – Added to water / tea mixes as needed for pest control. (Pops eggs of & kills; fungus gnats, flies, aphids, & spider mites in the soil before, during & after infestations)
- Mykos Xtreme organic rooting powder – Use when planting or transplanting. Each time a seed / clone is planted or a transplant occurs use Mykos rooting powder for strong roots & healthy microbial system.